Monday, September 30, 2013

DAY 30! September 30, 2013

YES!!! I just finished my 30th painting in 30 days with great joy and relief. Enjoy "TOWER 2" below and laugh with me that it started out being about the tower but ended up being more about the truck. The first painting that I started this morning just wasn't working so after an hour or so, I started over. One of my artist pals, who also did this challenge, paints cars all the time. She failed to mention how hard it is and she makes it look effortless.  This month several other friends asked me 'so...why? Why do something like this?' Well, besides it being a great excuse to get out of relentless laundry for the month (thanks for pitching in family!), I have always enjoyed challenging myself. But also, I find doing hard things fun. Today, I feel so encouraged that I plan on spending October finishing (really, this time I mean it!) my novel.

Initially I wasn't sure I could fulfill this challenge but I knew I wanted to try and that no matter how many paintings I managed to complete, it would be more than I started with! So I picked the theme "Maritime Madness," which helped me focus on what to paint. I never, ever got bored with this subject matter and for the rest of the year I'm going to stick with it and keep putting up new work for sale on www.seashop.bigcartel.com. Also, inexpensive prints are for sale at www.shannonceli.imagekind.com

I found myself  praying hard on three particular days (today included) for the energy to complete what I started. Sometimes, I had to force myself to begin working but once I did, it worked out. A few times this month I read a great little sea-themed poetry book that my daughter-in-law gave me for my birthday and that inspired me too. Several times when I lost all perspective, my daughter came upstairs and offered up her opinion which is always right on target. Thanks Sam! This week, I felt particularly tired and now I'm looking forward to a little rest. Two days ago I thought, I just can't today. But I have an incredibly supportive husband and daughter who convinced me that I definitely could. They sent me back upstairs with hugs and threatened not to share the ice cream if I didn't come back down with something finished. Yesterday I spent hours working on a painting that I just did not like. So, argh, I started over. Not bad considering the other 27 days, I was absolutely delighted to be painting.

What next besides the book? Calendars made from the paintings that got the most positive comments as well as the ones I like the best and...a CONTEST! As of tomorrow, everyone who commented on one of my paintings will be entered into a little drawing and someone will win one of the calendars. They'll also be for sale on www.seashop.bigcartel. I will announce the winner on FB next week and tomorrow or Wed. I will post a collage of all of my paintings. THANK YOU for sharing this journey with me and for taking the time to "like" or comment on the work. It was very encouraging and I appreciate that very much! "TOWER 2" By Shannon Celia

As JS Bach used to sign his work, SOLI DEO GLORIA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment