Tuesday, September 17, 2013

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge, Day 17

For Day #17, here's "BUOY TRIO." What have I learned so far? That when I push myself outside of my comfort zone, amazing things can happen. When I first read about Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge this month, I was intrigued but barely considered it. With an already busy life, a husband with a heavy travel schedule and the third year of high school starting for my daughter, I thought it would be impossible to stick with painting 30 paintings in only a month.  It felt overwhelming, yet the closer I got to September 1st, the more I knew I had to do it. Learning better time management skills is always helpful but creating on demand has been empowering. I've debunked a myth that I had to be in the mood to create anything I liked. It really has a matter of just showing up, saying a prayer and getting to work. Some days I might make magic and other days, I just make it closer to my goal. That is enough for me!

Another plus has been how inspired I am when I'm not painting. Sometimes I work at Hoot N' Anny Home in Westlake, CA and just being in Jen's incredibly beautiful environment ignites new ideas but at other times, being in the kitchen trying something new, watching our new kitten Opal frolic with our chihuahua Roxie, or being out in my garden does the trick. This month we made two batches of homemade gluten free granola (using a variation of the recipe on Heavenlyhomaker.com) and canned 18 quart sized jars of Roma tomatoes picked from nearby Underwood Farms. Honestly, it was my husband and daughter who picked the 70 lbs, but then we all enjoyed canning together. I've been walking on a cloud for days looking at all of these gorgeous jars on our shelves. I've also been picking the last remains of tomatoes and cayenne peppers in our garden and wishing the pumpkins decided to grow this year. Next year, I'll try for the 4th time in hopes they do, but I'm grateful the artichokes behaved by flourishing this year. For now, here's #17, BUOY TRIO, pictures of our canning day and I'm off to work on the last few chapters of my novel. To see my other 16 new paintings, please visit www.seashop.bigcartel.com. Thanks for visiting!

BUOY TRIO 8x8 Oil 

Puree the tomatoes!

Viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment